- A letter of nomination, indicating the nominee's eminence and potential significance to the university as well as their availability, suggesting possible lecture topics, and documenting the nominee's ability to speak effectively to an audience that is not limited to specialists.
- A preliminary plan of activities so the committee can judge how the lecturer's time will be used. This plan should include activities in various departments and ways in which visitors will interact with faculty as well as with both graduate and undergraduate students.
- Verification that the nominee is willing to visit during the academic year and to stay in Bloomington for a full work week.
- A short vita enumerating the nominee's principal scholarly and professional attainments, perhaps from Who's Who in America, The Directory of American Scholars, or a similar source.
- Supporting memoranda from persons in several other departments, programs, or schools, briefly explaining their interest in the nomination and indicating how their faculty and students would benefit specifically from the nominee's presence on campus. These materials should also provide evidence that the nominee is a good public speaker. Nominations typically include 5-7 letters of support, the majority of which often come from departments other than the lead nominator's. These can be in the form of emails. The dossier should be submitted in electronic form.
The nomination must not exceed 15 pages, including the vita.The Patten Committee encourages nominations which promote the international and cultural diversity of intellectual life on campus. The Committee is also especially interested in nominations of qualified women and minorities.For consideration for the 2024-25 academic year, nominations and supporting materials should be submitted by NOVEMBER 16, 2023
to Indermohan Virk, Executive Director, the Patten Foundation, Bryan Hall 111 (email: email@example.com
; phone: 855-5788). The Patten Committee Chair will be happy to answer questions about the program and the nomination process as well.